Sunday, November 27, 2011

Slaughter Ranch, try 2

We'll see if it's faster tonight to upload pics.

A view to the southwest, the x shaped fence is the border


The remnants of a stone hut built to house troops here in 1916 or so, to defend us against the potential of Poncho Villa invading and taking over Philadelphia, or even Nantucket...


A old saddle, c. 1890 or so. Note the wood pommel.


Some pics from inside the ranch house, where the Slaughter family lived.





An anecdote from a biography of Frank Slaughter: Apparently in 1916, shortly after Poncho Villa's forces had moved to the area just below Mr. Slaughter's ranch, the US troops moved in and built encampments of a hill just south of the ranch house. Mr. Slaughter learned that Villa's forces were stealing his cattle and using them for food for his troops. Mr. Slaughter rode down the hill the half mile to Villa's camp alone, and demanded payment for his beef, and returned with 'saddlebags loaded with gold coin.'

Finally, on the way back to our RV campground, I stopped in Douglas at a city park where a Mexican taco truck had parked in the visits before.


This was my fourth time at this truck, at the first a Border Patrol Agent had told me the hot dogs were excellent, but I've never gotten beyond the shrimp tacos. Fresh gulf shrimp, crisp fried, fresh corn tortillas, and no bad cheese. My heavens, they are good. And they have some hot sauces I've not had, that only add to the experience. All at 2 bucks.


As a late uncle would have said: "Gotdam boy, these are good."

I'll be here to the weekend, and then I'm moving on. Really. And I mean it this time.

4 comments:

  1. Those tacos sound delicious! I ended up buying baby limas and white kidney beans, and some pearl barley for some chewiness. I also found some soup bones and stew meat really cheap, so I'm going to make beef barley soup later this week, to stave off the cold and damp. I've got to buy a new garlic press, though, because that Hmong garlic broke the last one I had, and now the garlic just sits there, mocking me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you called, I didn't think about the barley, it's a good idea. I'm glad you've turned out to be a very good cook, among other sterling qualities. If you crush the garlic cloves with a flat knife, might be less stress on the press.
    Thanks for stopping by, punkin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Methinks the Taco Truck warrants at least another day or two. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. & the history books left the impression that Pancho never paid his bills. Well at least Philadelphia was saved... :)

    ReplyDelete