Saturday, November 26, 2011

Slaughter Ranch

I and my new friend Glen went to the Frank Slaughter ranch today, 15 miles east and south of Douglas AZ. It borders Mexico, the demarcation line being about 100 yards south of the ranch house.

Mr. Slaughter was at one time a confederate officer, a texas ranger, a ranch owner and sheriff of this area. His ranch was around 100,000 acres, and bridged the Mexico/US border.

The road to it is dirt and gravel for 15 miles, the vehicles we passed were all Border Patrol. The country around it is standard desert, no trees, mesquite bushes, and clay hardpacked sand. The ranch area is an oasis, many springs, and a lot of water. Trees, cottonwood, juniper, and willow.

Some picture of the ranch and surroundings follow.

Water abounds at this place, springs everywhere, and trees, trees unseen for miles. Of any kind.


Several animals were on the land, burros, they were irritated at the horses.


They seem to stay shy of the longhorn cattle, who looked unfriendly. I tried to get Glen to climb the fence and pose with one, but he was reluctant.


There are several  more pictures I want to post, but for reasons I don't understand it's take upwards of 10 minutes to upload each picture, so I'm giving up for tonight. The place was great; moisture in the air, the smell of wet leaves underfoot as I walked around brought back  memories of fishing on Washington rivers in the fall. Tomorrow I'll try for Slaughter Ranch II


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've found a good area to spend some time in. And I'm glad Slaughter Ranch was named after a person and not an activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what some water can do. There's no desert hermit in me at all. Since August all my grandchildren are in the Phoenix desert. Ugly plus malls. Guess I'll have to get used to it. The ranch sounds intriguing though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope you'll come back soon to Slaughter Ranch, home of Texas John Slaughter.

    ReplyDelete