Thursday, November 24, 2011

Double Adobe Thanksgiving

Last evening we had another of the desert sunsets I'm getting fond of:


This morning I started the gravy, using the stock from two turkey necks and the meat. I added onion, garlic, a large chili, with sage and other spices. It was done by 10, and warmed for the potluck at 2pm.


The weather was nice in the morning, and warm, probably over 70f. I went for a walk to the east of the camp out into the desert.



On the way back to camp, I ran into a couple guys who wanted to be buddies, 'till they discovered I had nothing in my pockets to eat.


The potluck was quite good, most of the traditional dishes, along with enchilada, and pies I was too full to eat.  There were around 25 people, Roy, the owner, had cooked 6 turkeys on a rotisserie/smoker, and there were leftovers aplenty. All my kids called today, and one granddaughter, so the day was perfect.

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving also.

5 comments:

  1. Your gravy looks good, Mike, and I see you use cast iron cookware, too. Makes everything taste better, I think, including pineapple-upside-down cake.

    Those sunsets are spectacular, and the mountains add to their beauty. I don't blame you for settling in there at Bisbee for a spell.

    Happy trails,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha
    Several years ago, Emily and I were camped in Glacier Nat'l Park, and Emily (Kate's younger sister) made a cake in the dutch oven. Several teenage boys of a family camping nearby, came over. Not sure if it was for the cake though. Nothing does fried chicken or potatoes better than cast iron. Once a beau of Kate's came over, and perhaps to impress he was helping clean up in the kitchen. I heard Kate exclaim "What the hell are you doing??"....he was using soap on a cast iron pan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavens! Did he survive?

    Coincidentally, I cleaned two of my skillets today, with olive oil and salt; gave them a very good scrubbing, then wiped on a fresh thin coat of oil and seasoned them in a 200F oven for a couple of hours. They're good to go now for a couple more months before I have to do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gobble Gobble Mike. Coming back into MSO from Denver. Always good coming back home. Hoping to get out over the next few days. Snowtels are encouraging! Safe travels, garland

    ReplyDelete
  5. great, Dad. I nearly choked on some cranberry sauce, reading that little anecdote!

    ReplyDelete