Friday, November 18, 2011

Bisbee still, redux

When I got here, now 6 days ago, I registered for 2 days. I extended it by two days, then for 3 days. I extended it for a week today. It's cheaper by the half-dozen, it seems.

I've met most of the people staying here; regulars, by their tone, and nice people. Friendly, welcoming, and quick with advise for a novice RV'r. Even if it's a lowly truck camper. The owner is a guy of middle age, quick with a smile, wears a cap like mine. Most of them are shotgun enthusiasts, here for the skeet range next to us that the owner operates. One of the wives a couple days ago, said I should go join them. I explained I didn't bring a shotgun, to which she said "You have gun, right? I've never known anyone with Montana plates that does not have a gun." To which I nodded, "Yeah, I do. It shoots large rounds from a small gun, though. And no shot." She  nodded. "Yeah, well you are still our people, somebody out there will loan you a gun." I deferred, saying I didn't want to embarrass myself with somebody's shotgun.

So I'm going to stay for another week, seeing the local sights. There is the Slaughter Ranch, a couple of Nat'l park wildlife places, and other stuff. I read during the day, listen to Montana Public Radio via streaming morning and evening, and nap during the early afternoon. If I think back, this is what I was looking for: cheap, the things I want, nice people.

I'm old enough, and an oddly technophobe/technofan, that I both love and worry about the things that make my stay fine: I camped most of my adult and young life....tents, I got the first North Face Geodome tents, the cutting-edge cooking stoves and attendant stuff. But over 20 years ago I stopped following the cutting edge. So I now am satisfied, happy even, with having a large fridge and freezer, a stove, a heater, wifi, movies, etc. All within my neat camper, sheltered from the storm. I see the 5th wheelers, the more modern truck campers, yeah. With microwave, cable tv, ovens, etc. I'm not envious, I'm happy with what I have.


Cheers,
Mike

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found a good spot, Mike. Your explanation of your camping views and experiences echoes mine exactly. We tented while the boys were young, added canoe camping in the Boundary Waters, then tenting, hiking, flyfishing in Montana. After retirement it was a pop up tent trailer to Alaska and back.

    ReplyDelete