Friday, November 4, 2011

Joshua Tree Redux, into Arizona, and another glitch

First, a few pictures of Joshua Tree Nat'l Monument I took on the second visit, after staying in Indio for a couple days. The RV park was just too much for me....geezers in shorts and black socks walking their yappy little dogs. Yesterday morning I went back up into JT and spent a nice evening in a different campground. Thus far I prefer the State and National Forest campgrounds; they are quieter, more scenic by far, and the people I meet much more interesting.

I took several pictures of the cacti, here are a few:





At the campground two guys from LA who work in the film industry were tent camping nearby, and we had a beer and chatted, until one of them pulled out a joint and asked if I'd like a toke. I declined (because I didn't feel like it just then, ask me another time). Then one asked me what I did before I retired. "Law enforcement" I replied. They looked stricken.....I proceeded to tell them truth.

I was going to stop in Blythe CA, but didn't care for the campgrounds I saw, and proceeded on to Quartzsite, AZ. I'm in a rather bleak (but cheap) RV site that is a very large expanse of gravel and a few trees. But they have internet. Parking, I saw water dripping from beneath the camper. Tomorrow in the afternoon I have someone coming to look at it. Depending on what they find, I'll either get it fixed, or just buy water from now on, not a big deal.

It's windy and cool by local standards, with some chance of rain. I'm going to cook potatoes and leftover turkey I baked in the dutch oven last night. A glance at the lettuce in the fridge will do for vegs tonight.

I had thought about going to the NE corner of AZ, to see things in the Navajo and Hopi area, like 2nd Mesa and Canyon De Chelley, but there is snow forecast in that area, so I may continue on south and east.

More as it develops.

Cheers

5 comments:

  1. Erin
    Just in case you commented, I wanted to ask a question....have you read Ayn Rand? Your last sentence in the first paragraph was very similar to what she wrote about the same subject. It's a part of her writing, among others, that I have noticed with interest. As have feminists over the years, with many interpretations. I don't think her philosophy holds up under examination, but I've wondered about the etiology. Didn't want to put this on your blog.
    Just curious.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. You painted a too-vivid image in my mind with your description of the black-socksed (soxed?)geezers with their yapping rats. It's going to take a while to get rid of that.

    Wow, it's true! The desert landscape really does look the same, no matter where you go. Your third and fourth photos prove it! The cacti look like some alien creatures that arose from the desert floor to render prickly justice to the evil tourists who've been dumping toxic waste (camper plastic tank water) in their paradise.

    Snow is our friend. Embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha
    Last to first: forget it. I do not embrace snow this winter, I avoid it. At all costs.
    As to it all looking the same, I realize that I did two photo's of the same view, one slightly zoomed. Sigh.
    Take off, Martha. The world is out here. I say that as it's raining, and the wind blowing. The world does not wait for us, we gotta catch up.
    Cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deserts are interesting but so barren. I think I'd miss all the green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my little nature blog. Its be a while both ways. This retirement road trip thing has me utterly fascinated and envious. My life circumstances make such quite unlikely for me so I'll tag along put you on favorite blogs list to be reminded.
    Curious as to how this all came about I went back into both blogs for context. I was particularly enamored of your comments on your love and understanding of the value of history....

    ReplyDelete