Saturday, November 12, 2011

Tombstone

I camped at a place near Tombstone, AZ for three nights. The campsite had excellent facilities, with wifi available inside the main building. The trip has been in some doubt the last couple days; my youngest daughter has been hospitalized, but seems to be doing well. I'm staying in the same general area of South Arizona in case I need to make a trip to Seattle.

Tombstone is a mildly interesting town of around a thousand population, a higher elevation than I had thought at near 5,000 ft. The weather has been sunny, though a bit windy. Tombstone's only activity, and economic basis, appears to be tourist-based, and all on the period of the 1880's, with an emphasis on the Wyatt Earp/OK corral incident. There are two reenactments daily, stagecoach rides, and numerous schlocky tourist shops.
A nice moon my first night.

The streets of Tombstone


And the famous Boot Hill


I can't say I'm either impressed or disappointed with Tombstone; I hadn't even thought of going there until the day before I arrived. It was mildly interesting to see, once. I'm now near Bisbee, not too far south. I'm staying at a out-of-the-way RV campground, sort of off to the side of a side road. There are several 5th wheelers and trailers, again I'm the only truck camper. It's by far the cheapest of any I've been to, has a very nice bathroom/shower, and excellent wifi available in the camper. Most of the other rigs are older, one is from Montana, a nice outfit with a satellite dish outside, and the same truck I drive. We chatted about how much we miss the snow and cold, and sneered at the locals walking around in parkas when it's above 50f.

I'm going back into Bisbee tomorrow, it's an old mining town, and I saw a couple gallows headframes similar to the ones in Butte. I'll probably stay here a few days or longer.

3 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well for your daughter, Mike.

    Fifty degrees Fahrenheit is sweater weather around here. Might want a hoodie if there's wind, too.

    Tombstone seems an appropriate name for the town. That must have been the main industry there before it became civilized and a tourist stop.

    What are gallows headframes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't wear a parka at 50 degrees, but it's not what I consider pleasant weather. 80 - that's the ticket.

    Hope you're daughter is okay.

    ReplyDelete