Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Winter of My Discontent, or, It's Raining Again


Another rainy and semi-windy day. My neighbor and new-found-friend and I decided not to go fishing; tomorrow the forecast is somewhat better. So I sat, watched the rain, napped, listened to music and thought.

Why am I doing this trip, anyway? Contrary to what I've been telling anyone who asks, it's not just to avoid shoveling snow this winter. I think it is more out of boredom, or lack of purpose. Before I stopped working, I was busy; work had, up until the last couple years, occupied and interested me. Teaching, training, help develop new products, refine existing ones, on and on. I went from that to basically twiddling my thumbs. I thought my interests would occupy my time fine: fishing, travelling, seeing and doing things not done. Turns out they don't. And it ain't just today's weather.

I thought this trip would be just the thing: new places, warm weather, life on the road. I've tried travelling constantly, a day or two in one place, moving on. I've tried staying weeks in one place. Getting comfortable, meeting people, and now in this place fishing. Good fishing, actually. Neither have captured me; made me say this is fine, this is what I'll do. It's fine for a bit, but......even if it were possible for me to continue this on to the future, I'd choose something else.

So. In a week or less, the trip is reversing course. I'll fill you in as it happens.

Cheers

4 comments:

  1. I was visiting another blog where I found a quote that made me think of you:

    "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving."
    ~Lao Tzu

    I hope your travels prove interesting without being dangerous. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things I think you should give some real serious thought to, for next year:
    -I'd be willing to bet that the elementary school near you needs volunteers for their reading program.
    -mentoring programs.
    -does your precinct need a Precinct Committee Officer?
    -next year, there will be a need for election monitors at the polling places if Butte hasn't gone to all mail-in ballots.
    -your grandchildren would really love a memoir.

    There's more, but it's late and I'm sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate's last bit of advice is a good one...memoir. :)

    I hope you find what you're looking for. On the road, or on the road back towards home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, my daughter is always worth listening to. She's been the highlight of my life for many years, and the smartest one in the family.

    I'll give the memoirs a shot, sweetpea.

    ReplyDelete