Friday, December 9, 2011

Texas Dinner (my version)

First, the weather. WhenThe I got here on Monday it was cloudy and quite cool by local standards, and a brisk wind. Today started off overcast, looking like rain even, then the clouds cleared mostly out and the sun came out. I changed to a short-sleeved shirt, it was 78f in the shade. Met a couple locals, got tips on fishing from the shore and where to go, found a place where my Onstar system could make calls and called Emily.

This evening I'm having tamales, pinto beans, and tortillas. I found a tamale joint in town yesterday, bought a dozen small pork tamales, and they were selling fresh tortillas they had just made. Some pinto beans, with some green chilies and garlic added, and that's dinner. The tamales have an aroma drift off that makes my nose weep. Literally. They seemed to be saturated with some red chili oil, that stains the fingers.




I'll start the beans soon, cook them down to let the green chiles and garlic absorb, steam the tamales and warm the tortillas.

The sunset here is around 5:30pm, get's dark quickly. Time to hunker down for another evening in south Texas. Wish y'all were here.

1 comment:

  1. If I thought you could survive it, I'd give you my Frito-taco pie recipe.

    On the other hand, if you can survive hot chili oil, you can eat darned near anything! Your supper looks good to me, too.

    Ooooooh! 78F degrees! That's all I want for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete