Thursday, December 8, 2011

Fishing

You'd think with a nom de guerre like Should Fish More, I'd have more entries about fishing, wouldn't you? In fact, if you've followed either of my blogs, I rarely post about angling. In 60 years of fishing, I think I've either heard or said damn near everything there is to say. Every rhapsodical, philosophizing, complaining, bragging, this is better or more important than life it's self thing there is to say or write. At this point in my life, it's enough for me to say I enjoy it, and my time on the water. In fact, at times I've gone out to the Big Hole and simply sat and watched the water for a couple hours. Catching another couple trout after the 10's of thousands I've caught is not a priority. And while I rarely keep a fish, I've heard more than enough from those who think releasing every fish is a moral imperative, and is a pathway to good karma.  

Hmmm, it appears I've digressed. 

Hey, I went fishing today! My neighbors here at the camp have a boat, they invited me out with them this morning in the gulf, and I gladly accepted. Bill and Linda are both around my age, and from this part of the world. We went out for about 4 hours and roamed this part of the huge bay between the Texas mainland and Padre Island. I was very surprised at how shallow it is; at times we were zooming over long flats of less than a foot of water. 
Some pictures:



Heading out of the harbor


Out in the bay


We fished in 4 or 5 different area's, depth ranging from around a foot to three feet deep. We used jigs, and I cast a spinning rod for the first time in years. It was fun, and I found that motor-muscle memory is true; by the third cast I was putting it out a hundred feet. 

Oh yeah, almost forgot. We didn't catch a thing, not even a bite. It was so much fun to be out on the water, smelling the salt gulf that it was unimportant. Bill said it was unusual to not catch anything, and he wants company on more trips. I'm up for it. As a consolation prize they gave me some sea trout fillets from their last trip a couple days ago, so despite catching nothing, I'm having fresh fish tonight. 

Cheers all,
Mike 

3 comments:

  1. When we lived in Texas, fishing was my father's second favorite recreation. He went gigging at night for flounder, went into deeper waters for tarpon and stood on the gulf shore of Padre Island casting for whatever would take his bait.

    On one of his flounder-gigging expeditions, he caught a young stingray. Then it returned the favor and got my dad in his calf.

    I wish you much good fortune in your fishing. You're in good fishing waters there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been getting this error when writing a comment:

    "Your current account (g-mail address) does not have access to view this page.

    Click here to logout and change accounts."


    So, at any rate, your photos bring back some memories for me going red fishing in the Gulf in the brackish waters south of New Orleans with an old chum I've not seen in a long while.

    You should still write about fishing. I'd enjoy your insight.

    Just noted your latest post. Interesting questions.

    ReplyDelete