Friday, December 2, 2011

Art

There is an artist-in-residence of sorts here, a gentleman camped nearby, Glen Hanson. He's done many things in a wide-ranging life, and is currently creating bead art on tanned elk hide. He presented his latest to me yesterday, and we negotiated. It took him three weeks of 4 to 6 hour days, and is comprised of 13+ thousand beads. I was attracted to it because it reminds me of some Navajo and Hopi art I have.


It's now hanging on the back wall of the camper


At home, it should go well above a bowl I have made by Violet Huma

It's onward tomorrow morning, so I'll post again as may be.

Cheers all

3 comments:

  1. I like that. Well, not the elk hide part, but the beaded design and the color of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the elk hide is a great part, the texture, softness, and the thickness let's the beader sew within the hide, not going through to the other side.
    Perhaps you mean it's from an animal...well, were it from a native american would you feel different? That objection is different, and not addressed to anyone's satisfaction. One thinks it's ok, or not ok, and no one is to be convinced differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sewing 13,000 beads on an elk is probably impossible without it having shed the need for hide. So that doesn't bother me, but the maze-like character of the pattern keeps me following for a clear path. This is a living process; Mr. Hanson is a true artist.

    ReplyDelete