Thursday, December 15, 2011

Another evening

Dusk comes on a cloudy, warm day here in the south Texas Gulf. I went fishing today, caught 3 speckled trout on my 6wt, it was fun. The biggest was around 20", and while it fought well, it was less spectacular than a similar rainbow. I didn't keep any, a bit tired of fish at this point. The fellow I went with has a nice boat, and is as committed a flyfisher as I've met. I listened for hours to him talk about how it has taken over his life (my interpretation). Curious, I asked how long he's fly fished, and he said 8 years. He asked me when I started, and when I said I thought it was in 1952, he didn't pursue the topic.
This evening is less windy, warm and cloudy. Deer again come around begging.



I didn't take any picture out on the gulf. In truth, I was less than happy to be fishing today. This fellow was kind enough to invite me, he's starved for conversation with other 'fly fishing folk', I didn't think it appropriate to tell him that I was tired of this cult-like attitude towards fly fishing. I smiled, only occasionally saying when he mentioned fishing on a river on such and such a place that I'd fished there in the 70's when it was good.

So, I'm still enjoying being here. One takes it all, and picks and chooses, eh?

For those still commenting on the previous post, that's where I'm continuing the conversion, in the comments section.
Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Glad you returned to shore safe and sound.

    I'll visit your previous post to try to pick up that conversation. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete