Sunday, October 9, 2011

Portland

I've spent a couple days with Henry, he's pretty busy with school (when he's not watching football on a tv the size of Kansas). It's been the same weather as Seattle, grey and rain. I did go to Powells, perhaps the best bookstore in the US, and got several books to occupy me. Henry has a house in a section of North Portland where 20 years ago one would not want to be after dark, now it's a great, family neighborhood, diverse, quiet, green and probably quite beautiful if the sun ever shines.

So tomorrow I head out, and the 'real' road trip begins. The weather on the Oregon Coast is quite unpromising for the next week, and with the rain they've had the rivers will be up and out of shape. My plan is to head down I5 to Grants Pass, and over to Crescent City, CA. At that point, I plan on going into slow motion, and taking a month to get down to LA. I will probably stay on the coast, 101 or Highway 1, find a place I like, and chill, as they say.

The camper has held up admirably, no leaks at all. There is a new small dent in the front from a low-hanging tree on the block, but barely noticeable. I think it must weigh near 2100 pounds with the water and supplies, but the truck purrs along just fine.

Below is a picture taken in Seattle by Michael K., who has posted on my other blog. We had lunch together, and he wanted a 'before' picture, I think. We'll have to see what 'after' looks like in 6 months.

1 comment:

  1. (Hope this works this time.)

    Mike, has anyone ever told you that you remind them of Hemingway? I just noticed the resemblance with this photo.

    Hope the weather picks up for you and that the rivers don’t overflow their banks and chase you down the highway.

    Say, what music are you listening to on your adventure? Got any road trip songs?

    ReplyDelete