Saturday, October 15, 2011

Redwoods and the Redwood Coast

I'm again staying at a KOA 16 miles north of Fort Bragg, with a babbling brook going by the camper. It's foggy today, at least here. I just walked to the beach, it's about 300 yards away. Yesterday and the day before it was beautiful, sunny and 75f.
The water pump got installed with some difficulty in Eureka, it didn't fit properly so the fellow resorted to a lot of silicone to seal it in. I let it dry yesterday, and filled the tank a bit ago....no leaks, at least so far.

I spent a nice afternoon and evening at a state park in the Redwoods on the Avenue of the Giants.




The Eel River, looking fishy.

My neighbors in the campground were these two fellows who had been roommates at university, both convivial, I'd guess in their late 40's. One turned out to be a remarkable guitar player and good singer. He did some standards, and an excellent rendition of Jefferson Airplane's Embryonic  Dream. The other lad took my last beer with seemingly little guilt.

After a day and a half, I felt the need for sun. The redwoods are so open underneath because very little sunlight filters down to the ground. I went the short distance down 101 to Highway 1, and the 25 winding miles over to the Pacific. A few miles south I found a state campground on a bluff 75 feet over the beach.


From my camper window (below)


The sunset was lovely


I'll stay here a couple days, the beach looks good for some walks, and hopefully the sun will re-emerge.

3 comments:

  1. Your travelogue is great to read, Mike, and I'm enjoying your photography, as well. (Also taking notes for when I hit the road.)

    Thank you for the encouraging comment you left at my blog a few days ago. I removed my post because it was written while I was in a deep funk and feeling very sorry for myself; so embarrassing to re-read it. I've printed out the quote you left and posted it on the refrigerator, over the bathroom mirror and here at my desk.

    Looking forward to the next installment of Mike's Most Wonderful Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took my kids several years ago to see the redwoods and California coast. I had wonderful childhood memories of walking among those astounding trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot of the Redwoods! Some day I'd like to fish the Eel. Cheers, Garland

    ReplyDelete