Sunday, October 23, 2011

Big Sur to Moro Bay

I arrived in Moro Bay around noon today, sunny and near 80f when I got here, it's now foggy and 55f. I'm staying in a RV place near the beach that has little to recommend it except it's clean, crowded, and walking distance from the beach. Oh, and pretty good wifi. That's enough for two days.

I stayed yesterday at Limekiln St. Park, a little south of the community of Big Sur. The three places I had stopped in the area of Big Sur were all full, and it was still late morning. This place was not well-marked, and I had to make a sharp braking turn to do down the one lane road. It is located near a high bridge where Highway 1 goes over, and spreads a ways up a canyon with a clear, fast-flowing creek.

But the first picture has to be what I saw a couple miles north, in one of the many pull-outs with views of the coastline.


Yep, it's occupy Big Sur. Forget occupy Wall Street. I talked to the two guys for a bit, the one at the drums is a musician, and had done a gig in Billings. This may be a movement without a clear goal, but damn, it's got legs.

Anyway, on to the campground and it's surroundings.

The view east:

The west:


My campsite:

And the sunset, that drew seemingly every camper in the park.


I had entertaining neighbors on each side last night, to my west were a young couple from San Luis Obispo, the young man a salesman for a garden company, but obviously destined for other things. The young woman a recent graduate from Cal Poly, was "figuring out things, but it's mostly pro bono now." I assured her she'd figure out the angles. The family on the other side was young also (everybody is young, know what I mean?) with three cute kids under 10. Over a bottle of vin ordinaire we talked literature, Hemingway and others.

This morning I was up at my usual 6am, and was driving out to discover the gate locks from 8pm to 8am. I listened to NPR for a bit until a sleepy looking young man let me out. On the way south, past San Simione I saw some nice views, including some elephant seals.


As I was cruising along, I saw a beach with what looked like huge sandbags all over. Elephant Seals. Big suckers.


While posting this, the fog has gotten thicker, visibility is around 100 meters. I'm going to cook a nice piece of Cabezon I got at a harbor fish market. A salad, and the remains of the loaf of bread from Pt. Reyes will be fine.

I'll be here two days, hopefully the fog will lift.

Cheers, people.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful views, including the seals, topped off by that gorgeous sunset - great day.

    Sleep well, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss seeing the seals and sea lions. They're in some of my favorite memories of CA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie, remember the photo I took of you on the beach at Carmel, I think, in 1982? You were running in the surf, and had left footprints in the wet sand behind you. The girl moving on, I thought of it. You are the best, Kate. I'm so proud of you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete