Friday, October 21, 2011

One of no doubt several inconsequential posts....The Curious Case of the Marin Pine Cone

Ok, I've seen pine cones, on trees and off, all my life. As many of you have, no doubt. Here's the thing...they grow out at the end of boughs, yes? On pines such as this, a coastal pine near Olema.


On closer survey, it has some pine cones growing in the usual areas.


All well and good. Keeping with our structured view of the world, nothing out of the ordinary. Then we look closer, and it appears that the pine cones are growing on the limbs themselves, absent of any nearby needles.


See that?? They've sprouted from the limb itself!!!! What's up with that?? Then I looked further, and was disturbed by my discovery.


Damn things are growing on the trunks! Hell's up with that??

This may have played some part in my decision to stay only two nights here. One never knows. I saw the movie with the pod people that took over the parents, and was taking no chances.

Anyone out there that can explain this, please do. Otherwise, I may never go back to Marin County again.

7 comments:

  1. You know, I remember seeing this on the pines in the bay area too. No idea why, but it always freaked me out a bit too. Must be in the water...I remember there being a study done that something in the bay's water was making the sea lion's inflammable (no idea why this was done) and the bay area has a really high rate of breast cancer too. Something in the water...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin....regarding my comment on your blog:
    I should have known that it wasn't what the other commenters wanted to see, I'll refrain from that in the future.
    It's just that some fly fishing folk seem so...obsessed by the idea that they are on a higher plane than other anglers, and so self-righteous about it. It ain't new, Maclean was that way clear back in the 20's. And it ain't confined to fishing, we seem to have become a society that demonizes anyone who disagrees with us, politics, eating meat, whatever.
    I realize I walk to a different drum than many, if not most, other fishermen. I'm fine with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It got a lot warmer after you left, Mike! It was plain down right toasty today! The cones are still growing on the trunks, though :-) It was great to meet you! Hope you have a terrific time as you continue on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No...never refrain from stating my mind -- on my blog or elsewhere. I'm with you, that society has become far too single minded, and closed-minded at that. I think it's important to remind people that this is the case. ;) Cheers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Mike:

    Because of the strange nature of the cone-bearing tree trunks you saw, I thought they might the remaining descendants of some prehistoric plant, much like the tree ferns in Hawaii and New Zealnd. So, I searched Google for them.

    Turns out there are some others in Yosemite, though not many. These trees need fire to release the cones/seeds, which will continue living on the tree until there is a fire, or until the trunk grows around them. Also, the knobcone pine (their name) begins producing cone way earlier than other pines do, as soon as three years old, while still saplings, as opposed to some other pines which delay cone production until the trees are about 80 feet tall/75+ years old.

    Pretty cool stuff, hunh?

    Now, if those cones were psychedeic colors, then maybe e.m.b. is on to something!

    (Loving these posts, Mike; thanks.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for shedding light, Martha. I'm still not convinced it has nothing to do with aliens.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete